International Congress on Theoretical and Mathematical Physics, 1972
In 1972, the Steklov Institute organized and hosted the first ICMP in Moscow, using for the first time the logo.
The actual title used was the "International Congress on Theoretical and Mathematical Physics."
In those times of great tension between East and West it was a unique opportunity for members of our community, who only knew of scientists in the other part of the world through publications, to meet in person and work together. It was not at all clear that the meeting would be repeated and become a regular event, but the idea took root, and in just a few years the IAMP was formally incorporated and began sponsoring regular International Congresses.
A conference proceeding was published in 1975:
Picture credit: V. Zagrebnov.
A Picture Gallery from 1972
We are very fortunate that many were pictures taken at the time by Vitalii Gribov, and
we are grateful both to him and to Andrei Pogrebkov for scanning them
and sharing them with the
IAMP. To view a picture at full size, click on the thumbnail.
If you can add to or correct the identification of the people appearing in this gallery, please write to the editor at iampbulletin (at) gmail.com.
005. A.N. Tavkhelidze and others
006. Yu.M. Shirokov, A.D. Sukhanov and others
009. Lecture hall
010. Lecture hall including D. Shirkov and _ Mescheryakov
011. ___, M.C. Polivanov, N.N. Bogoliubov, H. Lehmann, R. Haag, V.S. Vladimirov, ___
018. Lecture audience
020 N.N. Bogoliubov
020a. N.N. Bogoliubov
021. N.N. Bogoliubov
022. K. Hepp
026. J. Klauder, V. Gribov
027. H. Lehmann
028. V.S. Vladimirov(reading) and others
029. I. Segal, J. Glimm
030. N.N. Bogoliubov, R. Haag, M.C. Polivanov
031. K. Symanzik
032. K. Symanzik, M.C. Polivanov
033. M.C. Polivanov
034. N.N. Bogoliubov
034a. Banquet: M.C. Polivanov, R. Haag,
035. Banquet: R. Haag, D.I. Blokhintsev, _ Blokhintseva, A.N. Tavkhelidze